Congratulations Bishops-Elect Jeff Haines and Jim Schuerman!
I cannot tell you how happy and excited I am to hear that my good friends and schoolmates, Jeff Haines and Jim Schuerman, have been asked, and have accepted the call to serve as our new Auxiliary Bishops! I echo the sentiments of Archbishop Listecki, as he made this public announcement to the Archdiocese of Milwaukee and beyond: “Praised be Jesus Christ; this is a proud moment for the Church in southeastern Wisconsin.” Indeed, it is not only for our Archdiocese but for their friends and family as well.
As we prepare for their ordinations in the coming weeks, I would like to introduce them to all of you, so that you can join me in my excitement and hope for the future of our Archdiocese. I have had the joy and privilege of knowing Bishops-Elect Jeff Haines and Jim Schuerman for 35 years. Both men are dedicated, hardworking, intelligent, pastoral, and faithfilled. More specifically:
Bishop-elect Jeff Haines:
- He is 58 years old, and has been ordained for 32 years
- He was three times elected moderator of the Archdiocesan Council of Priests, and currently is a member of the College of Consultors
- He has served as an Associate Pastor at St. Nicholas and St. Eugene Parishes, and as Pastor at St. Francis Cabrini.
- He currently is serving as Rector of our Cathedral
- His home parish is Holy Apostles in New Berlin
- He is a graduate from New Berlin West High School, Marquette University, and St. Francis de Sales Seminary
- He has three siblings
- He is a big fan of country music and the Brewers
On a personal note, Jeff and I were in the same Jesu Caritas (Priest Support Group) for many years. I have grown to respect and admire Jeff as a brother priest and now as my Bishop.
Bishop-elect Jim Schuerman:
- He is also 58 years old, and has been ordained a priest for 31 years
- He has served as an Associate Pastor at St. Anthony, Milwaukee, a missionary priest to our Archdiocesan Sister Parish, La Sagrada Familia, in the Dominican Republic, as a faculty member of St. Francis de Sales Seminary, and then as Pastor of St. Andrew Parish in Delevan. He is currently the Pastor of St. Francis de Sales Parish in Lake Geneva
- His home parish is St. Joseph Parish in Lyon, WI
- He is a graduate of Burlington High School, St. Francis Seminary College, and St. Francis de Sales Seminary. He earned his Masters of Theology at the University of Innsbruck, Austria
- He is fluent in German and in Spanish
- He also is a past recipient of the Vatican II Award for Service to the Priesthood
Again, on a personal note, Jim and I are classmates, and I have grown to value our friendship and fraternal support through the many years. Together, Bishops-elect Haines and Schuerman will bring a great pastoral sensitivity to their leadership in our Archdiocese. Please pray for them, as well as Archbishop Listecki, as they shepherd our flock and further the Kingdom of God in southeastern Wisconsin!