The purpose of MacCanon Brown Homeless Sanctuary is to create a new daytime homeless sanctuary and multi-resource center for homeless and at-risk homeless adults in Milwaukee’s impoverished Amani neighborhood (Milwaukee’s 53206 zip code).
In our work we all unite in honoring what is holy in each person, and encouraging his/her journey of self-discovery and purpose. We are honored to build not only a safety net but real pathways of advancement. Our faith is deepened by the experience of mutual transformation, not in “fixing” people. We are blessed to be instruments of answered prayer.
St. Anthony helps at the MacCanon Brown Homeless Sanctuary Meal various times throughout the year. This is a ministry serving homeless and at risk homeless people in Milwaukee's Inner City.
The MacCanon Brown Homeless Sanctuary “4th of July Celebration” can use our help!!
The MBHS Sanctuary & grounds is located in the 53026 zip code in Milwaukee. It is one of the most impoverished food deserts not only in Milwaukee, but in the country. The Sanctuary sponsors an all day celebration on the 4th of July for those people that have no place else to go. It’s a daunting task that is made possible by incredible volunteers & donations. See the Celebration Flyer.
There are three specific ways that St Anthony parishioners can help make this event a success.
- Donate canned/boxed goods & bottled water.
- Donate personal hygiene items.
- Volunteer for either a 1 hour or 2 hour block of time helping out at the event.
Items 1 & 2 can be dropped off at St Anthony’s any time before Monday July 1st. There will be a bin(s) identified for the MBHS 4th of July Picnic. Just drop off your items and they will get to the Sanctuary.
- Suggested Canned Goods:
- Corn, Peas, Pinto Beans, Black Beans, Garbanzo Beans, Navy Beans, Collard Greens, Mustard Greens, Spinach, Baked Beans, Pork N Beans, Tomatoes & Spaghetti Sauce.
- Suggested Boxed Goods:
- Corn Meal, Oatmeal, Grits, Macaroni, Spaghetti, Rice, Cake Mix, Red Beans & Rice Mix.
- Suggested Personal Hygiene Items:
- Deodorant, Bar Soap, Shampoo, Toothbrushes, Toothpaste, Floss, Wide-Tooth Combs, Vaseline, Body and Hand Lotions, Foot Powder, Q-Tips, Nail Clippers, Chapstick, Sunscreen, Hand Sanitizer, Alcohol-Free Mouthwash, Band-Aids, Antiseptic Cream or Spray. Note: Small or Medium sized items are preferred.
- MBHS welcomes all hotel/motel room toiletries.
Item 3 – Volunteering
If you would be available to participate in the celebration by volunteering for an hour or two of service, you can contact Tom Bohmann at [email protected] or 920-918-9932 to sign up or secure additional information. The Time Schedule for the day is as follows:
- 7:15-9:00 AM Set-up
- 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM Official Hours of the Event
- 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM Meal is Served
- 4:00 PM Take down
You can identify what hour(s) you would like to work & what you would like to do.
Please consider one of these ways to help out the less fortunate enjoy a safe, relaxing 4th of July Celebration. For any other additional information, please contact Tom Bohmann above.